Tuesday, June 2, 2015

The Violet Hour Book Tour: Review



Hey guys!

In case you didn't realize from the title, I'm apart of the Violet Hour Book Tour! I hope you guys enjoy it! Don't forget to stop by Mythical Books and Around the World in Books for their promo posts on the tour today if you haven't. Also, stop by Castles Made of Books and Dreams Come True Through Reading for their reviews and Semi Short Chic and Books and Ashes for their promo posts tomorrow!

Anyways here's my post. xx


About the Book:
Title: The Violet Hour
Author: Brynn Chapman
Publication Date: April 11, 2015
Pages: 300
Goodreads Amazon

Description:
Secrets.
Allegra Teagarden, a musical prodigy, flees her father’s dominance and abuse while touring in pre-civil war Charleston, South Carolina. Plagued by depression over her mother’s suicide during their previous visit, she escapes in an effort to piece together the details behind her mother’s mysterious demise.
Secrets.

Down to her final coin, Allegra happens on Charleston’s Fancy, the first southern amusement park, which is searching for musicians for its orchestra. At first, the park seems her salvation; but she quickly realizes she has traded the dominance of her father, for the even more terrifying madness of the owner, Silas.

And more secrets.
Allegra meets the dashing Brighton LeFroy, Fancy’s engineer and pyrotechnics master. His shabby clothing cannot conceal the brilliant mind beneath. The musician’s whisper he is a witch, is obsessed with storms, and is rumored...to fly. And despite the danger, despite her own misgivings, Allegra is inexplicable drawn to him.

She ventures to his reclusive home on Fire Isle during a thunderstorm and together they seek to unravel an ancient mystery. 

Review:
The Violet Hour is a great story about a musician running away from her control freak of a father in the 18th century - 1859 to be exact. Oh my lord, I can relate to that sentence so much. xD A control freak of a father? Check. Musician? Check. Running away? I wish. 18th century? If only. I mean did you see their dresses?! <3 Okay, I think I might be wrong about how amazing the 18th century was. I read too many historical fantasy book and not enough no proper history books

Anyways, right away I was enraptured by this story. It starts off with Allegra running away as I already stated. Throughout the story you get to know about both what's happening in the present and all about her interesting past. Her life is honestly super interesting.

When Mr. LeFroy entered the picture, I was kind of confused as to what was happening, but things cleared up as I continued reading. He sure is quite the interesting character. I thought he was kind of off and shady at first, but throughout the story you get to know him better and he really is quite a lovely character. I thought we'd never get to know much about who he is properly, but you do get to.

In all honesty, the ending was kind of obvious to me. However, the way it played out wasn't. I knew that it would end like that but the journey was quite interesting. There was so much commotion at the end, it was amazing. However, some people may not like that as much. I enjoyed it though I'll admit it was quite hectic. Even though I was able to predict the ending, it was still overall amazing! Like ohmigosh. You don't even know. I'm in love with this book.

It's full of science and music and love and history and just ohmigosh. Okay, it's more magic than science, but there is science! And yes it's mostly the historical fantasyness that's enraptured me, but seriously, everyone read it! Go run of to your bookstore right now and buy it. If it's not there, order it online here! See how helpful I am providing you with a link? But really, do it!!! This book's too amazing for life. I need a paperback version. WHY DO I ONLY HAVE AN ECOPY?! :'( The struggle. Oh well...

So I give this book a 4/5 simply because I found the ending quite predictable and it may just be me, but I got lost a couple times. I think that may be my low attention span and tendency to drift off into my daydreams. xD

What makes this book different from all others? And why should anyone care?
Umm hello? Historical fantasy of a runaway musical prodigy mixed in with dimensional time travel stuff. How is that not different and why wouldn't anyone care?

Did this book meet my high expectations?
YES YES YES YESSSSS! I loved it. Can you tell yet?

Would I recommend this book and to who?
Everyone. If you read my review, you'll have noticed that I am ordering everyone, including you, to go buy a copy and read it. So you know, you should probably do that. Like now. 

About the Author:
Born and raised in western Pennsylvania, Brynn Chapman is the daughter of two teachers. Her writing reflects her passions: science, history and love—not necessarily in that order. In real life,  the geek gene runs strong in her family, as does the Asperger’s syndrome. Her writing reflects her experience as a pediatric therapist and her interactions with society’s downtrodden. In fiction, she’s a strong believer in underdogs and happily-ever-afters.  She also writes non-fiction and lectures on the subjects of autism and sensory integration and is a medical contributor to online journal The Age of Autism.


~Sammy


a Rafflecopter giveaway

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...