Friday, November 8, 2013

First Kiss by Cindy M. Hogan Review

Hey guys!

I just finished reading First Kiss by Cindy M. Hogan. I got it from NetGalley, so 2/10 finished now! :D Anyways, here's my review. All the things that are crossed-out are spoilers or can be considered as one!


Cover:

Review:
This novella/short story was amazing! I thought it was so much fun. :D In the beginning of the book I thought that her birthday (birthday party) was so much fun! I hope my sweet sixteen birthday is like that (well the party part at least). I've never had a surprise birthday party before! But I've always wanted one. As I was reading I kept thinking of things to write for the review. Though I've kind of forgotten them, but nevertheless I still remember some.
While reading, I wanted to say that I loved Luke and that he was awesome, but.... I ended up hating him. He's disgusting! Love that little plot-twist about him. I had a feeling he would've kissed her, but like that?! GROSS! Honestly?! I feel sorry for her. I hope my first kiss doesn't end up like that.
Ryker is amazing. I can see why she likes him. Honestly, she should have gone out with him not Luke. I love that bit at the swim meet and his text at the end. I didn't think he was gonna send one.
Her mom is so sweet. How she comforted her at the end. That was amazing. I can't wait to read the next story! I wanna see what'll happen!
The rest of the guys in her school also seem super cool. I wish the guys in my school were more like them. Well aside for the whole thing about her being fresh meat because of the VL... I would be dead if so, but I'm not 16 yet so.. :P But we don't really have that rule about being 16 here. Everyone here is surprised I'm a VL but they won't do anything about it, which I'm partially glad about and partially disappointed about. Nevertheless I'll live.
I really love this book because it's so easy to relate to. I've never gone through what she's gone through, but somehow I can connect well to her. That's one of the things I love about realistic fiction. I have to praise Cindy for the amazing work of capturing the feelings of a teenager. Being freaked out about simple things. Being easily excitable. Liking to date and have crushes. Being lazy. And the rest. :P She also did a really good job at writing a novella/short story. It's often very hard to capture the characteristics of a character within around 100 pages. And to do so in less than that (72 for this story - including cover, author bio, etc.) is truly amazing! Not to mention to have a good and steady plot. Usually it would feel a bit rushed and whatnot. But this story didn't feel like that. It was at a great pace and was truly amazing. So I give this a 5/5.
Rating
What makes this book different from all others? And why should anyone care? Well for starters, I think all teen girls can relate extremely well... Or at least I think so. Plus it's an extremely great novella!
Did this book meet my high expectations? Yes. I didn't really know what to expect though. :P
Would I recommend this book and to who? I would recommend this to all teenagers (both boys and girls). Boys so they understand us girls just a tiny bit more. Girls, because I think it'll make them understand they aren't the only ones feeling that way and whatnot.

~Sammy

2 comments:

  1. Glad you liked the book. Just found you on Goodreads. New follower :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...